I've done a ton of work since the last time I posted about the Valkyrie costume. I've been so busy making things that I haven't had time to edit
photographs and post here. This post is going up a full two weeks after I started writing it!
The dress is almost finished. This is Vogue Pattern V1227 with a modified bodice. I still need to hand sew the bottom of the bodice lining to the inside of the dress but I have a feeling I'll be doing it at the last minute. The dress is wearable as is so I'm not too worried about it. I also hate hand sewing so I'm more than happy to ignore it for now.
The lining and the outer fabric side-by-side
Modifying the dress pattern worked pretty well overall. I had some problems getting the correct shape at first, but I was able to work them out while I made the lining. A practice run is usually a good idea when doing something you're not sure about. By the time I made the extra pieces for the outer fabric I had a better idea of what I was doing and put the parts together more cleanly. It's a little tough to see what's going on in the photos above, but hopefully you can see
that my sewing improved between the first and the second attempt.