I had planned on just cutting off the old weapon and gluing on the new one, but Dave rightfully pointed out that the pieces would be incredibly fragile and recommended a pin vice and a thin, sturdy piece of metal to hold the pieces together instead.
Pin vice in hand, I set about the task of drilling an itty-bitty hole into an itty-bitty rod. And it worked!
Just kidding. It wasn't that easy. The first time I tried drilling I used too much pressure, broke out the side of the staff and stabbed
tiny shards of metal deep into my thumb (got them out later with tweezers.. no worries). Itty-bitty drill bits are
sharp. I only succeeded after cutting off the mangled piece of staff and trying again- slowly.
A hole was made through the hand and a few millimeters into each side of the staff. A small piece of the support rod was then glued into place to give the staff a nice, strong brace. As it happened, the bit of the staff with the brace is now a whole lot stronger than the rest of it.
This is the one and only time I've done this, so all I can recommend is
working slowly and making sure you start off right. I found it nearly
impossible to correct my path after I started the hole, and my attempts to force it only lead to heartache a stabbed thumb. Looks like I still need that manicure.