I've done a ton of work since the last time I posted about the Valkyrie costume. I've been so busy making things that I haven't had time to edit
photographs and post here. This post is going up a full two weeks after I started writing it!
The dress is almost finished. This is Vogue Pattern V1227 with a modified bodice. I still need to hand sew the bottom of the bodice lining to the inside of the dress but I have a feeling I'll be doing it at the last minute. The dress is wearable as is so I'm not too worried about it. I also hate hand sewing so I'm more than happy to ignore it for now.
The lining and the outer fabric side-by-side
Modifying the dress pattern worked pretty well overall. I had some problems getting the correct shape at first, but I was able to work them out while I made the lining. A practice run is usually a good idea when doing something you're not sure about. By the time I made the extra pieces for the outer fabric I had a better idea of what I was doing and put the parts together more cleanly. It's a little tough to see what's going on in the photos above, but hopefully you can see
that my sewing improved between the first and the second attempt.
I've been busy! My deadline for the Valkyrie costume is fast
approaching. I've almost finished the dress, made most of a cape thing and
started armor, but I still need to make an entire winged helmet, a belt
and paint everything.
I signed up for a couple Reddit Craft
Exchanges. Three of them are scheduled to be done by the end of the year, and one was for the
month of April. These exchanges have been a good outlet for working on amigurumi and other little things I like to make but don't have much use for. One can only have so many stuffed squids.
It works like this- you sign up to send something to someone and someone sends something to you. Anonymous and simple! On Valentines Day, I sent someone a pop-up card and got a pretty pair of earrings. A few weeks ago I made a purse for a new internet friend across the country.
I used Made By Rae's Buttercup Bag pattern, which is free to use for personal projects (buy the commercial license if you want to sell bags you make). It's an easy pattern with pretty cute results! I embroidered a flower onto the inner pocket to spruce up the white, linen lining.
A slightly sheepish note to friends and family: In
the process of making this post I realized that I've taken on all sorts of random projects and have been neglecting to fulfill my
promises to those close to me. This shouldn't be happening. Once I wrap
up a few things with deadlines (like that costume) you'll be back at the top of my list. Rightfully so.
I had planned on just cutting off the old weapon and gluing on the new one, but Dave rightfully pointed out that the pieces would be incredibly fragile and recommended a pin vice and a thin, sturdy piece of metal to hold the pieces together instead.
Pin vice in hand, I set about the task of drilling an itty-bitty hole into an itty-bitty rod. And it worked!
Just kidding. It wasn't that easy. The first time I tried drilling I used too much pressure, broke out the side of the staff and stabbed
tiny shards of metal deep into my thumb (got them out later with tweezers.. no worries). Itty-bitty drill bits are
sharp. I only succeeded after cutting off the mangled piece of staff and trying again- slowly.
A hole was made through the hand and a few millimeters into each side of the staff. A small piece of the support rod was then glued into place to give the staff a nice, strong brace. As it happened, the bit of the staff with the brace is now a whole lot stronger than the rest of it.
This is the one and only time I've done this, so all I can recommend is
working slowly and making sure you start off right. I found it nearly
impossible to correct my path after I started the hole, and my attempts to force it only lead to heartache a stabbed thumb. Looks like I still need that manicure.